9/25/12

THE NEXT BIG THING!!!


 I’m one of five authors tagged by Scottish romance novelist Janice Horton as “The Next Big Thing.” Janice is busy promoting her newest novel, “How Do You Voodoo.”
 I’ve been instructed to tell you about my next book by answering the following questions. Then I’ll tag five more authors who will answer the same questions about their "next big thing."

What is the working title of your next book?
I’ve considered and rejected several.  I probably won’t settle on a title until I finish writing and then read the story from start to finish. But the question is about “working” titles and they are: “Dance With Danger” or “A Dangerous Dance” because the novel opens with a tango scene and the threat to Alex and Diego continues.

Where did the idea for the book come from?
 I hadn’t planned to write a sequel to Legacy of the Highlands because I thought that book had a clear ending, but many readers and reviewers say that they want to know what happened to the characters after “the end.” I admit that I was curious as well and all I can say is that they’re taking me on an interesting journey.

What is its genre?
A genre label is very difficult to slap onto a book that has elements of several. The closest I can come is romantic suspense, although some readers might consider it a thriller.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie?
Tough question since I can’t think of any actors who look like the people that exist in my imagination. When I first wrote Diego, I pictured the gorgeous Argentine polo player, Nacho Figueras, who models for Ralph Lauren, but he’s not an actor. Daniel Craig would make a good Serge.

What is a one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A Scotsman, intent on revenge, poses a threat to Alex and Diego. It's obvious that I haven't given much thought, time, or effort to a synopsis yet. That will come after the book's finished (I hope).

How long did it take you to write the first draft?
I’m still doing it! The first draft has 55,000 words and I’ll probably add another 30,000 before it’s finished. I began to write almost nine months ago, but so far no baby!

What other books would you compare this to?
One reviewer described my first book, Legacy of the Highlands, as Tom Clancy with sex. I wouldn’t mind the same comparison for this one.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
See my answer to question #2, “where did the idea come from.” Moving the story’s primary setting from Scotland to Argentina has been fun, although I think more readers look for novels set in Scotland than in South America. I hope that those who enjoyed Legacy of the Highlands will want to follow Alex and Diego wherever they go.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Despite what I am about to say, readers should not expect 50 Shades of Grey or anything like it. This is a romantic thriller that combines passion, revenge, secrets, love, and betrayal into a page-turner. But…Alex and Diego do have steamy sex (often). Her new friend, Danielle, has hot sex with former French spy Alain, one of Alex’s bodyguards. Serge has hot sex with (spoiler: I can’t give this one away) and we meet Diego’s childhood friend, Sebastián, who exudes sex (and has a lot of it).

Here are some great authors I’ve tagged to tell you about their Next Big Thing!


1 comment:

Sophie Moss said...

Thanks so much for tagging me, Harriet! I read the prequel to Legacy of the Highlands on my vacation and thought it was an excellent lead up to the story. Love Diego. :) :) Will write a wonderful review as soon as I get a moment.